The University High School boys swimming team had their strongest performance ever in a sectional meet last weekending, finishing 7th overall with 162 points.
There were several exceptional swims in both the sectional preliminary meet on Thursday, Feb. 15 and the sectional final meet on Saturday, Feb. 17 at North Central High School. From prelims, Trailblazers advanced seven swims up (in the A Final) and five swims down (in the B Final) for a total of 12 races in the sectional final meet.
In addition to several outstanding personal performances on Saturday, there were a total of six school records broken in that meet. Those school records were set in the following swims:
- 200 IM Relay – Freshman Keegan Priest, junior Cole Reinholt, sophomore Cordell Wilson, and freshman Roy Raz finished in 6th place with a new school record time of 1:44.21.
- 100 Butterfly – Priest finished 2nd overall in this event (see photo to the right) and set a new school record with a time of 53.44.
- 200 Freestyle Relay – Freshman Hayden Suarez-Davis, freshman Austin Clark, Wilson, and Reinholt dropped three seconds from their preliminary time and set a new school record in this event with a time of 1:39.68.
- 100 Backstroke – Priest dropped two seconds from an already strong preliminary time to finish 4th place and set a new school record of 54.19.
- 100 Breaststroke – Reinholt dropped nearly three seconds (see photo above) to finish 4th place in this event and set a new school record at 1:03.21.
- 400 Freestyle Relay — In the final race of the meet, Raz, Clark, Suarez-Davis, and Priest finished 4th place overall and set a new school record at 3:33.45.
These sectional final performances capped off a strong weekend for the swim team. Although some swimmers did not advance to the finals round, several set personal records in the preliminary meet. Some highlights for those swimmers are as follows:
- Senior Kevin Shen dropped three seconds from his time in the 100 Freestyle, breaking the 1:10 barrier with a 1:09.42.
- In the 50 Freestyle, freshman Lucas Miller dropped two seconds from his time to swim 31.30, and junior Ari Atlas dropped .2 seconds from his time to swim 28.48.
- Miller and Atlas also swam personal bests in the 100 Breaststroke, with times of 1:41.46 and 1:25.83, respectively.
- Freshman Zac Schneider dropped a whopping 37 seconds from his time to swim a 2:08.58, and junior Christian Moore dropped five seconds to swim 2:08.58, both in the 100 Backstroke.
Congratulations to these Trailblazers on an awesome end to the season!